Photograph by Susie Cushner
Written by Tovah Martin
In the process of growing thousands of biodynamic plants for her line of health and skin care products, Avena Botanicals, Deb Soule has created a beautiful herb garden that pleases the eye as well as fortifies the body. Soule uses herbs in her preparations based on centuries of Asian, European, and American Indian herbal knowledge.
1. Mullein is reputed to relieve lung and ear ailments.
2. Valerian makes a relaxing tonic at bedtime.
3. Calendula heals cuts and wounds, especially if there is swelling.
4. Schisandra is used in Chinese herbal medicine and soothes a wide variety of ailments.
5. Thyme is an antiseptic used for coughs and sore throats.
6. Black Cohosh relieves muscle pain, especially menstrual cramps.
7. Echinacea stimulates the immune system.
8. Rose eases distress and calms agitation.
9. Feverfew helps alleviate migraines and headaches.
10. Nettle leaves,when young, are a good source of iron if eaten cooked.
Check with your doctor before including any herbal preparation in your health regimen. Read more about Avena Botanicals in the August issue of Martha Stewart Living.