It’s almost Memorial Day weekend and we’re all getting excited to grill. Now is a good time to check out your grilling equipment to make sure that you have what you need for frustration-free cooking and delicious results. Here are a few of our favorite tools and tips to ensure the perfect burger, frank, or steak at your next cookout.
1. Thermometer for testing meat and poultry temperatures. Digital options offer a big screen for a quick peek at the temperature.
2. Metal tongs, such as the Oxo Stainless Steel Good Grips tongs
3. Brush and scraper for cleaning the grill when you’re done. The Weber Bamboo Grill Brush with a scraper is a handy one.
4. Good-quality long metal spatula. We recommend an All-Clad slotted one.
5. An analog thermometer is an inexpensive way to make sure meat is never undercooked.
1. Whether you have a gas or electric grill, start by creating two cooking zones – high/direct heat and low/indirect heat.
2. Experiment with different kinds of smoking tools, such as cedar wood or wood chips. They’re a great way to vary the flavor of food without the expense of a smoker.
3. Bring steaks and pork chops to room temperature before grilling them. Keep fish and chicken refrigerated.
4. When searing foods, always keep the lid open.
5. Brush on sugary, thick sauces toward the end of grilling to keep the sugars from burning. We recommend a long basting brush with natural bristles.
6. Let steaks, chops, and chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Learn more about grilling fish, different cuts of meat, and poultry from our test kitchen experts.